Thursday, June 9, 2016

What, my son? something Funny about Rape?

I pass out Doritos and beer root beer, and turn on the TV.  "It's satirical and short, 2 min. 30sec."

Meanwhile, the womenfolk gather in the Internet Kitchen, discussing the young lady who, while unconscious, was raped at Stanford University.  We  feel sorry for Emily Doe, but we aren't talking about how angry we are at the rapist--not  right now--because a lot of us are asking, "My God, what if that were my son?"

What would we be feeling now if one of our sons had been the rapist?  It literally causes a physical ache in our hearts to even imagine what it would be like to be in that place.  

A friend from  FaceBook speaks up. "I'm going to do what I can to see that my son won't put himself, a young woman, not to mention his own mother through that hell.  And that means--courage, mamas--having another one of those Sex Talks with the young men we are sending out into the world".
 
I notice a phrase in the article that might elevate the blood pressure of some: white privilege. If that describes you, ignore the politics and focus on the parenting:

1. Uphold the dignity of women  God calls you to treat women as sisters. Whenever you see a woman (or any human being) mistreated–or demeaned, you should stand up and take action. In the locker room. In school. In church. And even in this house...

2. Never Minimize Sin.

If you ever, God forbid, do something as wicked as rape, I will not minimize your sin to get you lesser time in prison. You need to know this now. I don’t expect that you will ever do anything horrible like this, but in the slim, tiny chance, know that I will love you and stand by your side as a father, but, I will not manipulate the circumstances to make rape look like a fender-bender or a light infraction of the law. And I will not allow you to do this either....

3. Leaders will let you down.

Now to the judge. The judge’s job is to rule and pass down punishment, but the punishment didn’t fit the crime. This is another form of injustice, and it’s called prejudice, or you could call it favoritism. I don’t know why the judge saw this case and decided to be so lenient, but I do know it’s a tragedy, and it gives a message to our culture that rape is like a petty crime–annoying, but not THAT bad. But it is that bad. Sometimes leaders let us down. This is a sad truth, but I want you to understand, and be aware, of this reality now. The Bible says God appoints our leaders, but that doesn’t mean they are always good leaders or that they make wise decisions in every case. And it’s OK to speak out against their decisions when they are unjust.

4. You are warriors.

I didn’t mention it yet, but there were two Swedish grad students riding bikes who saw Brock on top of his victim behind some dumpsters. When they saw Brock he ran. These grad students tackled him and held him down until police arrived. When the police made it to the scene, the rescuers were in tears from what they saw. This is who you are. You are the tacklers. You are the justice fighters. You are the warriors. This is your role. God wants to use you to stop wickedness in its tracks, to tackle the fleeing criminal and to cry over the deep injustice...
                                               --Brian Orme, "An Open Letter to My Teenage Boys About Rape..."

The article is advising fathers to talk to their sons. Ideally, both parents would, but a contributor to the ancient book of wisdom, Proverbs, considers the words of his mother powerful enough, prophetic enough! to record them there.
The words of King Lemuel, the prophecy that his mother taught him. What, my son? and what, the son of my womb? and what, the son of my vows? Give not thy strength unto women...
 [This is part I of a brief series I am writing, "When Sweden, Rapes, Google, and Stanford Collide."]

No comments:

Post a Comment