Sunday, August 21, 2016

I am so happy

Mr. Athena and I walked along the Columbia River and around downtown Portland.

I love rivers. In Miss Fox's 4th grade music class at St. Mary's Parochial School  I remember singing a Woodie Guthrie song, "Roll on Columbia."

"Roll on Columbia, roll on. Roll on Columbia. Your power is turning our darkness to dawn. Roll on Columbia, roll on." While looking for pictures of the Columbia River just now, I learned that Woodie Guthrie had been commissioned by a federal agency to write a propaganda song promoting regulation of hydroelectric plants.  I also didn't know that the tune was based on "Goodnight Irene," which song, as you can imagine, I have heard all my life. I would say that roughly 10% of people who have ever said "Goodnight, Irene," to me have added, "I'll see you in my dreams."

I think I will start answering this way.

Sweet dreams!

[Family Friday and Non-Saturnine Saturday]

No comments:

Post a Comment