Friday, December 2, 2016

The Alt-Right in Dulce Jubilo. Left in Mourning. Others Trying to Make the Best of it.

(Actually written very late Thursday night)

[Note Dec 3:  I've removed a couple of paragraphs describing comments I have posted, will post,  or may post in other people's blogs. It takes me a long time to write anything at all, even a small comment. I look back at the time I've spent writing in the comment sections of other people's blogs, and wonder about how much of it has been wasted time.   I am sure I don't have time to write about writing those comments. Take right now for instance...]

 
Personal Stuff: Tonight I get the reward of writing in my blog because, after a couple of months at the new job,  I've finally gotten  my priorities in order. Today, I not only worked outside the home for pay, but made dinner, cleaned the kitchen, made two big batches of turkey stock and ham stock to freeze, exercised on the rebounder, read Advent devotionals and meditated, and had a delightful spiritual discussion with my 19-year-old son on the fascinating and curious practice of Sun-Gazing and the possibly unrelated potential of inviting the influence of unsavory spirits into ones life.  I watched a relevant father-and-son-reunion episode of NCIS with my husband, and told him I appreciated  his helping me reduce clutter by throwing away  recycling Items on the Island of Thirty Years Accumulation of Misfit Tupperware Lids. He really likes being told he's appreciated, even more than I enjoy surprises. I know he doesn't like surprises.


Political Stuff:


       It's time for Americans on  opposite sides of the political fence to start having meaningful conversations  instead of tossing "gotcha" slogans and Facebook links to "rub your nose in this" fake-news.  The triumphant Facebook crowings of "I put up with Obama for eight years so now you can jolly well suck it up and put up with Trump" just don't seem like an effective way to win friends and influence people.  And on the other side of the coin,  David Brooks at the New York Times had some excellent challenges for the never-Trumpers in "Time for media to do a little listening."
I’ve been thinking a lot about the best imaginable Trump voter. This is the Trump supporter who wasn’t motivated by racism or bigotry...[T]his voter needed somebody to change the systems that are failing her...She needed some way to protect herself... [from] the activists whose definition of social justice never seems to include the suffering people like her experience...
We’ve arrived at the moment of actual governing. We’ve arrived at the moment when Trump has to turn his vague notions into concrete proposals.
...Whether it’s reforming immigration or trade policy, his governing challenge is going to be astoundingly hard and complicated. Surely this is not the moment to get swept up in our own moral superiority, but rather to understand the specificity of the proposals he comes up with and to offer concrete amendments and alternatives to address the same problems.

 Back to personal stuff: Just got a phone call from Mr. Athena upstairs that the stock smelled so good he couldn't sleep, so he took it off the burner and put it in the 'fridge.  Time for me to post a snippet of this at Vox Popoli, and then leave it in God's hands.  Somebody gets mad at me there, too? I.Don't.Care. I've been taught well!

Then, to bed.  Sweet dreams 'til sunbeams find you!

No comments:

Post a Comment