Thursday, February 2, 2017

Day Off Thursday

Today is Thursday, the Day I Take a Day Off from Talking About the Alt Right Blog whose name shall not be mentioned. Naturally, I shall do this by reporting on the answers I received from a question I posed to the comment-makers on said blog, in which I told them I feared the nation was moving toward Civil War, and asked what concessions they thought could be made by either side to avoid this.

My favorite was: "Don't worry your pretty little haid about it."

"Peace! Peace! Where there is no peace!!!"  offered another. He worries about civil war,  too, yes?

But the answer that provoked the most thought was:

Luke 12:51 - 53  (KJV)  51 Suppose ye that I am come to give peace on earth? I tell you, Nay; but rather division: 52 For from henceforth there shall be five in one house divided, three against two, and two against three. 53 The father shall be divided against the son, and the son against the father; the mother against the daughter, and the daughter against the mother; the mother in law against her daughter in law, and the daughter in law against her mother in law.

I've been wondering how this jibes -- and jibe it  must, because it's Scripture, after all -- with Jesus' blessing on the peacemaker.   And  after I'd puzzled and puzzled til my puzzler was sore, and concluded that Luke 12:51-53, unlike the beatitudes, is descriptive rather than prescriptive,  I wrote last night's post, in which I asked: Who is the Peacemaker?

No comments:

Post a Comment